Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Not Much Progress Part 2 – Front Room March 2016

I was hoping to report significant progress on my front room project, but again I did not do much during the month.  I especially do not have much change that shows in the actual pictures.  Therefore, I will not be giving a space by space comparison report this month.  Instead, I am just going to give a couple of paragraphs on what I actually did accomplish during the month.  Then, I will provide some goals for March.  I did include the February 1, 2016 (left) vs. March 1, 2016 (right) pictures of the four areas below for reference.

I did in fact continue to clean and sort through things in the area.  I threw out the bag of trash that came out of the closet last month.  I disposed of many of the boxes that were around the room, though a few of these have been replaced by new boxes.  I emptied out two boxes of papers that were by the desk and quickly sorted through everything that was in them.  Apparent trash (catalogs, junk mail, etc.) was thrown away, manuals and the housing paperwork went back into one of the boxes to be dealt with later, and paperwork that needs to be looked at more carefully (mostly school materials) was stacked in two piles by the desk to be perused sooner.  On the desk, I cleared one folder of things that needed to be filed by actually filing them into the three black cases stacked by the desk.  I started clearing another folder of mementos I want to keep by incorporating them into scrapbook pages (I was about five years behind, now I am about three years behind).  Some random things have been moved to more appropriate rooms, like the two vacuums that were taken to the basement utility room.  It does not create a lot of impact in the pictures, but I do feel like I made some progress in cleaning up the room.

I also took some initial steps in the planning and designing phase of the project.  I really started with few ideas on how I wanted the room to look when I was done.  I figured the best way to get some inspiration was to visit home furniture and design stores to see what was out there.  I started this past weekend by visiting Tyson’s Corner, where they have several of these types of stores in the mall.  I came away with a general feeling that I want the room to be blues, tans, and whites.  These color schemes contributed to a beachy vibe that I really liked while in West Elm.  In terms of furniture, I liked what I was seeing in West Elm, ZGallery, and Potter Barn (in that order).  I think smaller airier pieces, softer colors, and natural wood are the way I want to go.  Everything is still in the beginning phases, but I at least have some ideas started in my mind.  I also feel a bit more confident about my ability to create something I like.

For March, I have basically the same goals as February.  I need to keep cleaning and sorting the stuff over by the desk area.  I want to continue moving out some of the accumulated junk that should not be in this room at all, like the kitchen items that are sitting in the middle of the floor.  Finally, I need to progress in my plans for overall design.  I have two more stores that I want to visit, Crate & Barrel and Ikea, for ideas and a general awareness of their offerings.  I also need to measure my office area and living room area to determine how much space I actually have available to use for each purpose.  Then, I can revisit the stores that I liked best and start thinking about which pieces of furniture I want that will work in the space I have.

So that is it for this month.  Although I have generally wanted to do this project for a while, I am actually feeling excited about it right now.  I just hope the feeling lasts past this week, so that I will stay motivated to keep working on it.

See you next week!


   



No comments:

Post a Comment