Thursday, January 31, 2019

January 2019 Reflections


As I mentioned in my last reflections blog, my intent for 2019 is to continue with the monthly reflections.  However, I am abandoning the sections that were previously used:  The Good, The Challenges, and The Future.  I actually found them to be a bit restrictive.  A lot of the things I wanted to mention had good and bad parts to them, so I struggled to decide where to categorize them.  For 2019, I will just use a topical divide and let my discussion be as positive or negative as my thoughts on the matter.

January in general has been a bit of a struggle for me.  I have spent much of it not feeling particularly well, though I have not actually been sick.  By that I mean, I have not had any colds or flus or other tangible illnesses, but instead I have been plagued with headaches, stomachaches, joint aches, fatigue, low-energy, and just general feelings of blah.  I have found it hard to stick to my work out schedule.  My diet has been less than stellar, though I have mostly refrained from the ridiculous.  The weather has not been terrible, but it has been a typical winter of generally cold temperatures with periods of rain/snow.  This has not motivated me to leave the house any more than necessary.  Overall, I think I might be suffering from some degree of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  I feel like I always struggle more in the winter months than the rest of the year.  I cannot afford them right now, but I am considering investing in some SAD therapy lights for next year to see if they make a difference.  Given this general state of apathy and lethargy, here is where my January thoughts have been focused.

CPA Exam

I am back to studying, mostly.  I am working on my final section of the exam, BEC (Business Environment and Concepts).  I was on track with my study program for the first 3 weeks of January.  I have slipped a bit this week, but will hopefully catch myself up by the weekend.  I have scheduled my exam for March 6th, so I need to get through everything before then.  BEC is a collection of non-accounting business topics (economics, finance, corporate governance, operations, strategic management, etc.).  As such, there is a lot of variety on which topics I enjoy doing, which I do not, some that I know much of the material, and some I know nothing.  I am not seriously concerned about anything content-wise so far.  The biggest change for BEC is there is a Written Content section of the exam, which has not been in the other sections.  While I am not particularly concerned with my ability to write decently, I do get a bit concerned over writing on particular topics.  The Wiley review program gives WC assignments to practice, but there is no feedback to it.  You basically read their canned answer and grade yourself to move past the assignment.  Some topics I am comfortable enough to regurgitate information, but others I cannot remember much detail without any prompts.  I know I do not need to be perfect, and I just have to give it my best shot come test day.  But I know I will still worry about this part of it until I am done with the section.

Simplify

I tried to do some goal setting exercises in December/January, but I have been so unmotivated that I did not get very far on them.  I have decided to abandon that for now with the intent to do it in April when I hope the returning sunshine and warmth will make me feel more hopeful and enlivened.  In the meantime, I have still tried to focus on getting some things done during the month.  All my activity seems to be around the idea of simplify and declutter and organize.  Here are some of my accomplishments and/or projects within this area.

Netflix:  I reduced my DVD subscription to the “1 at a time, 2 in a month” option.  This is the lowest option available.  I like the couple dollars savings, but really I am trying to reduce my TV time temptations.  I remember when renting a movie was a special treat for a family night.  Now it feels like I need to see everything that catches my interest, and that is just ridiculous.  By lowering the number of discs I can get, I now have to choose what I actually want to see the most.  I still have the Netflix streaming service, FIOS, and Amazon Prime, so there are plenty of options available if I do feel the need to find something to watch.

Book of the Month:  I canceled my Book of the Month subscription.  This definitely falls into the save money category.  However, the bigger reason was to help me reduce the amount of books in my house.  I love books, and I definitely want to have a personal library.  As I work to simplify my life though, I have come to the realization that I really want to be intentional with the books I include in my library.  They should represent me and what I really love, not just a random assortment of things I acquired haphazardly.   While I have enjoyed the vast majority of the books I received through the service, very few of them are ones I necessarily feel the need to own.  Therefore, I have canceled the subscription.  I intend to get most of my books at the library, maybe buy some through my Nook, and reserve purchasing physical books for the ones I love the most.

Youtube & Other Online Time-Suckers:  I am taking steps to try to reign in my online activity.  The big one is Youtube.  I have reduced my subscription list from 40-something to 21.  My goal was 20, but I am having trouble picking the last one to unsubscribe.  I decided to just let it go for a few more weeks and see if one will work its way to the nix list.  Going forward, I am going to try to whittle it down even further, but at the very least do a one in, one out approach.  This still leaves a lot of content for me to choose from (maybe still too much), but at least there will not be quite so many videos screaming for my attention.  In addition to Youtube, I have tried to eliminate some of my other online activity as well.  I am working to reduce my Goodreads To Read list to no more than 100 books (currently at 114, starting somewhere around 130 at the beginning of the month, but more like 300 when I started trying to reduce it last year).  This does not take up time online, but it makes me anxious seeing such a long list of books waiting for my attention.  Plus I used to just pull books at random off the shelves in the library, but now I feel like I cannot do that because I already have all these ones planned out to read.  I am also not going to be writing reviews on Goodreads going forward.  I will still rate them, but I do not think it a good use of my time to write reviews any more.  I am working to reduce my BlogLovin’ subscriptions.  I had somewhere around 60, and I am down to 35.  I hardly ever read any of them, because there were just too many to look through in the amount of time I wanted to give blog reading (typically a lunchtime activity).  I am now trying to read posts from the ones I have left to determine which ones actually give me value and which ones do not.  My end goal is following 10-15 blogs, with a one in, one out approach going forward.  Finally, I went through my Instagram and unfollowed everything that did not inspire me.  I kept everyone I knew in real life.  Otherwise I still have a collection of fitness/health/travel/food/photography/whatever that either inspire me or provide beauty that I can enjoy for the sake of beauty.  Gone are the overt sales pitches, the canned inspirational quote posters, and the random celebrities whose lives do not matter to me (I do actually have a couple of celebrities left, but only the few whose posts I actually appreciate).  I have no set number for this (currently it is around 115), but I just want my feed to be filled with stuff that is interesting to me and not just thousands of selfies of people I do not know.  I feel good about the sweep I have done this month of all my online activity, but I am not done yet.  I still need to tackle twitter, delete Pinterest which I never use, and continue to evaluate the ones already mentioned.  In the future, I am going to try to be more careful with my online accounts.  I want to make sure I am only adding things intentionally that add value to my life, while continuing to let go of the stuff that is dragging me down.

Personal Product Inventory:  Another area of my life that is out of control is my personal products.  I did an inventory of almost everything I own (I know it is not complete because I keep finding things I never included).  I have over 200 items of makeup.  I have almost another 200 items of skincare, bath & body products, and hair products.  My collection has accumulated from several sources, including stuff I bought myself, a lot of stuff I received in subscription boxes, and gifts from other people.  My goal for 2019 is to work through as much of it as I possibly can.  I am uncomfortable throwing away good products, so I am planning to try to use stuff up unless it goes bad or is truly terrible.  There is very little of it I can give away, because most is opened and/or of unknown origin date.  Also, I am trying very hard to limit the amount of new items coming into the house.  Obviously I cannot do much about gifts, though I will not be asking for anything specifically.  I canceled all the subscription boxes ages ago.  As for items I buy myself, I am putting myself on a 20 items restriction in 2019 which includes restocking anything I used during the year.  Originally, I wanted to do 10 makeup and 10 everything else.  After reviewing what I use and what I have in stock, I decided 10 is too many for makeup and possibly not enough for everything else.  For makeup, I honestly think mascara is the only thing I should need to purchase the whole year, anything else would be a want.  For the rest of it, I have categories where there is no way I will use up what I have (body wash, hair oil) and categories that I will definitely need to rebuy, maybe more than once during the year (toner, deodorant).  Once I reduce the excess, my next step in the process is to really focus in on building a good, simplified, self-care routine for myself.  I am open to experimenting with new things over time, but right now I have so much stuff and use so much variety that I really have no idea what works best for me in most categories.

For January, I used up/trashed/gave away 15 items – 2 eyeshadows, 1 mascara, 1 tinted lip balm, 3 lip balms, 1 face moisturizer, 1 toner, 2 sheet masks, 1 clay mask, 1 body exfoliating cream, 1 scalp treatment, and 1 hairspray.  I only bought one thing, CeraVe SA Cream, which replaces the empty body exfoliating cream I used up during the month.  This is one of my favorite products, and one of the few things I repurchase constantly.  It has done wonders for my dry, flaky, itchy skin since I started using it 3-4 years ago.

Low-Buy:  I am trying to be very conservative with my money for the next few months.  We have been on a reduced budget for all of 2018 seeing as we have only had one income all year, but we have not done the best job at reigning in expenses to match the reduction.  As a result, we have racked up more debt than I am comfortable having acquired.  Once I go back to work, it should be easy enough to pay it back down.  Until then, I still feel I should do what I can to not make it any worse than it has to be.  Therefore, I am trying to be very intentional with my money for the near future.  I think I did reasonably well during the month of January.  I reevaluated my memberships/subscriptions, and while I let most continue since it seems more a hassle to cancel and restart, I did cancel the book subscription noted earlier and the headspace app (I will likely renew this when I go back to work because I did use it regularly, but figure I can get by on the free version for now).  I also postponed some things I was considering purchasing, mainly fitness equipment and some type of new studio membership to supplement my current gym memberships (I support multiple memberships if you like variety, you actually use all of them, and you can reasonably afford it).  I did great on no impulse buys….no clothes, no books, no movies, no tickets, etc.  My struggle category was food.  While I did OK on restaurants ($1.34 over what I budgeted), I went way over in groceries.  I have two issues I am trying to work through in this area.  First, I am out of practice with planning my meals around my budget.  I used to be great in early adulthood, but I have not had to worry about it in years and am finding it hard to go back.  Second, my husband and I split meal planning and grocery buying duties, but we do not coordinate well.  This ends in fluctuations on what is available in the house, and weird non-planned purchases to compensate.  My low buy is only in affect for me; my husband is still spending like a wild man.  I just have to work with this, because he is uninterested in cutting back and just harps on my unemployment if I try to bring it up.

Entertainment

I am not going back to doing entertainment reviews, because frankly I do not want to do them.  However, I thought I would give a rundown of the entertainment I did consume during the month and notate anything I would particularly recommend.

Books:
All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown – Most recommended
Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach – This does give good practical beginner advice if 
     personal finance is something you want to explore.
The Unfortunates by Sophie McManus
Everything that Remains by Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus

TV Series:
Travelers:  Season 1 – Most recommended
Criminal Minds:  Season 12
Tidying Up with Marie Kondo:  Season 1

Movies:
To All the Boys I Loved Before – Most recommended of the 4, but honestly none of these 
     really stood out to me as great must see movies.
Deadpool
Dumplin’
Thor

There you have it, my month in review.  I know this might not be the most interesting blog post ever, but it is reflective of how I spent January.  I doubt February will be much better, because I am hibernating until spring comes back.

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment