Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ballet Subscription: Should I Renew?

I have just received the renewal form in the mail for a ballet subscription to the Kennedy Center 2015-2016 season.  I also just saw the last ballet in the 2014-2015 season for which I had subscription tickets.  So now the question is should I renew?

I purchased the 2014-2015 subscription as a reward to myself for completing my MBA program last summer.  I have always loved to dance and to watch others dance.  I have seen many ballets performed by many companies over the years.  I have seen several ballets at the Kennedy Center over the last decade.  It seemed the perfect reward for all the hard work that I had done over the prior two years.  So I purchased two tickets to each performance with the intent of using the second to lure friends and family to come visit me in Virginia.

I actually really enjoy the Kennedy Center as a venue for the ballet.  It is easy to get to via metro and a short walk or a short shuttle bus ride, so I do not have to worry about driving and parking in the city.  There are a number of restaurants in the area, including two actually at the Kennedy Center, to enjoy before or after the performance.  There are almost always matinee performances so I do not have to make it a late night.  The Opera House, which is where ballets are normally performed, is spacious with decently comfortable seats, enough leg room, and good visibility of the stage (at least compared to some theaters I have visited).

The 2014-2015 season of ballets was very enjoyable.  Here is a very brief review of the ballets in the season and my experience of each.

- The Suzanne Farrell Ballet – Mixed Repertoire Program – I saw this one with my husband because I could not find anyone else available that weekend.  I enjoyed the one act performance of Swan Lake, and I loved The Concert which is a very funny performance.  I did not enjoy the couple of short pieces done to Stravinsky because I do not care much for the discordant dances forced by his music.

Ballet West – The Nutcracker – I saw this one with my husband also.  This was his original choice when I offered him up his pick of performances.  Ballet West’s version was a bit more humorous than others, but overall not my favorite rendition of the holiday classic.

- Mariinsky Ballet – Mixed Repertoire Program – My best friend from college came down to see this one with me.  This was definitely one of my favorite performances.  The highlights of the program were Le Spectre de la Rose which is dreamy and romantic, and Paquita Grand Pas which is an amazing display of ballet technique.  Mariinsky is one of the most talented companies I have ever seen perform.  Their performances here were breathtaking, especially during the Paquita Grand Pas.

- American Ballet Theatre (ABT) – Cinderella – I took my sister to this one.  It is a humorous variation of the fairy tale we all know and love.  I very much enjoyed it.  I have always had a soft spot for ABT due to their spotlight in Center Stage (a teen movie I adored in my college years) although I think most of the movie cast who were actual ABT members are no longer with the company.

- New York City Ballet – Mixed Repertoire Program – I was accompanied to this one by my cousin, a fellow ballet lover and subscription holder for The Pennsylvania Ballet Company.  We saw the 20th Century Classics program which included Serenade, Agon, and Symphony in C.  Serenade was my favorite because the dancing was very emotional, and the costumes were designed to carry the movement of the piece.  Agon was my least favorite because it is again set to a Stravinsky piece.

- Scottish Ballet – A Streetcar Named Desire – I went to this one on my own because I could not find anyone to go with me.  Of all the ballets on the program, I was the most excited to see this one.  It did not disappoint.  It was based on the play by Tennessee Williams.  They did an incredible job of telling the story and showing the emotions experienced by the characters throughout.  However, I was familiar with the story beforehand, and I think this probably was helpful in following the sequence of events.

- The Royal Ballet – Don Quixote – I also went to the final ballet of the season alone because no one would accompany me.  This was probably my favorite piece of the season.  I prefer full-length ballets over the mixed repertoire programs.  Don Quixote is a fun one to see because of the humor in the story that does not require familiarity with the book to follow.  The Royal Ballet Company was fantastic in their performance.  The male lead for Basilio during the Saturday matinee performance was a phenomenal dancer.  The company also nailed the comedic aspect of the ballet, with the performance of Gamache the highlight of the show.

I obviously had a great time seeing the ballets this past season.  So why would I not renew my subscription?  The flyer for the 2015-2016 season has been sitting on my table for several weeks now, tempting me with the promise of wonderful performances that I would really like to see.  There are three main reasons why I am considering passing on the renewal of the subscription.  The first is that it was very difficult to find someone to go with me to each of the performances.  I had three that I could not find anyone willing and available to go, and my husband would only fill one of those (apparently I have a two ballet per year limit with him).  Second, it limits my ability to see other performances during the year.  It was not cheap to buy a subscription package, and I really felt unable to consider very many other types of entertainment for the year.  Finally, I really felt the impact of all the time required to see every ballet in the season.  I had a ballet almost every month during the season, some of which required several additional days of entertaining my various guests during the scheduled weekend.   With all the other commitments in my life, I felt like it added to a busyness that wore me down by the end of the season.

So am I going to renew my subscription to the ballet?  No.  Instead, I am going to pick the pieces that intrigue me the most from the new schedule (The National Ballet of Canada – The Winter’s Tale, Mariinsky Ballet – Raymonda, and Royal Swedish Ballet – Juliet and Romeo), offer them out to the friends that I think are actually interested in going to a performance, and only purchasing the tickets needed for a given performance.


I love the ballet.  I look forward to going to the 2015-2016 season, albeit on a smaller scale.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment