Wednesday, June 24, 2015

I Can’t Go Home Again

Do you know the saying “You can’t go home”?  I do not know who said it, how it was used in context, or even if I am quoting it correctly, but every time I go back to Pennsylvania to visit my family I think of it.  I went home to visit my family this weekend.  My little sister is turning 30 at the end of this month, and she requested my attendance.  So I made the arrangements to spend time with her and the rest of my family.  I was looking forward to this trip, but as usual I was ready to go back to Virginia after just two days.

The issues start with the sleep logistics.  I need to sleep somewhere, and it is always uncomfortable no matter what option I chose.  When my husband goes, we stay at a hotel.  This is my preference, but I know my family is always perturbed that we would spend the money when there are so many beds available for us to use.  I let my husband be the excuse, saying he does not like relying on the hospitality of family he really does not know that well.  When I am by myself though, I feel incapable of staying in a hotel.  The best option was always to stay at my sister’s apartment.  My mom did not seem to begrudge my staying with my sister, and my sister did not seem to begrudge my coming and going as I pleased.  This is no longer an option, because she has recently moved in with her fiance and his grandparents, which is a bit of an awkward arrangement to me.  Most of the time, I stay at my parents’ house.  I dislike this option though for two reasons.  One, their house is filthy and even a couple of days have me sniffling and coughing from the dust.  Two, I sleep on a futon in the living room where I need to wait for my mother (a night owl) to go to bed and where I am often woken up early by my dad (a morning person) so I end up with little sleep.  This last visit, I chose to stay with my maternal grandmother which I have never done before.  It went all right, but I am not sure how often I can do this.  I could tell my mother was disappointed that I was not at her house.  I also felt a little restricted in what I could do while I was there since I needed to be home before grandma went to bed.  Plus, I felt a little awkward making plans with other people when she was so excited to visit with me.

The problems continue with planning who to see, where to go, and what to do while I am there.  I usually am planning a trip around some event (a holiday, a family party, a show, etc.), so that is one easy thing to plan.  The rest though ends up being chaos, where I feel like I never do what I want and I have disappointed everyone around me.  My mother usually takes charge of my visits while I am there.  She arranges dinners with family, get-togethers at grandma’s house, and visiting time with her.  Most of the family arrangements center on her side of the family.  My dad’s side of the family is smaller and less well known to me.  However, I do have a relationship with my grandmother, and I often feel she does not get nearly the amount of visit time with me that the grandmother on my mother’s side does.  This makes me feel guilty.  If my husband comes we often want to do some touristy trip to Pittsburgh so he can see some of where I grew up.  It can be hard to find a chunk of available time big enough to fit these activities.  Also, there is often the desire of family members wanting to accompany us, and sometimes we would just like to have some time to ourselves.  Finally, I have completely given up trying to visit friends in the same trip as family.  I used to try to accommodate everyone, but the hurt feelings of my family became too much for me to handle.  So now, I plan completely separate trips to see my closest friends from college, and I do not tell my family that I am in the state.  I have let many other friendships dwindle to nothing, because I just do not have the time to see them when I go home.

Finally, I have to face the issues with my family that made me want to move in the first place.  My relationship with my immediate family has been rocky since I was an adolescent.  I am a daddy’s girl and still have a good relationship with him.  He is usually very flexible with working with what I want in my life and in my visits home.  My sister and I had a terrible relationship while we grew up.  She had some issues with anxiety, depression, and behavior control that made her very hard to be around.  She was very angry all the time, especially at me.  She is much better now.  We usually have a good time together as adults, but occasionally I can see the anger and meanness peeking through her personality.  It is often directed at other people now, but that still does not make it easy to handle.  My mother is my biggest issue when I go home.  I feel like I am constantly restraining myself from arguing with her.  She has very specific ideas of what I should be like and how daughters are supposed to behave in her family.  Who I am and what I want seems to escape her even after all these years.  Additionally, there are some unresolved issues from growing up that occasionally surface in discussions with her and other family members.  If I try to address any disagreements with her directly, she becomes very defensive and very emotional.  I end up feeling guilty that I have hurt her feelings.  Therefore, I try to swallow my opinions and feelings so we can just get through the visit on a pleasant note.  Other family members seem to think I am too harsh with her and should be a more loving daughter, so I end up being defensive about feeling the way that I do.  It is tiring for me to suppress myself constantly while home, and so I am usually soon ready to run away from it all again.

Maybe in the future, I will learn skills to better cope with my family.  However, right now the solution I have is to not live near them and to limit my visits with them.  Sometimes, I feel sad and angry that I cannot return home permanently any time soon, if ever.  However, I think I am a better, healthier person removing myself from all the drama that surrounds going home again.  So the saying is true, at least for now, “you can’t go home”.


How about you?  Can you relate, or do you find it easy to go home?  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment