Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Feeling Helpless – Loved Ones Dealing with Sick Relatives

I feel so helpless when people I care about are dealing with painful situations and I can do nothing to help them through it.  It has been a rough week.  I have had two loved ones dealing with relatives in the hospital.

My father-in-law has been in the hospital for over a week.  His heart was failing and not pumping the way it should, which caused fluid to back up into his lungs, which caused him trouble breathing, which caused an oxygen shortage to his brain, which caused a very sick and confused person.  They got the fluid drained out of his lungs and installed an implantable cardioverter defibrillator.  He was released but ended up in the emergency room not even two days later.  Now he has blood clots in his legs and his lungs.  They performed surgery to clear those out.  He will be there for another week and possibly longer.  Prognosis is not great.  My father-in-law has not taken care of himself over the years, and his body is not strong enough to fight effectively.  The doctor has supposedly said (all third hand information through my husband) that if my father-in-law quits every vice and follows every instruction to the letter, he is still probably only looking at a couple of years.  It is more likely that he will throw those instructions out the window as soon as he is strong enough to do it though, so we are looking at an unpredictable route of complications that will likely end in death sooner rather than later.

My husband is not handling this whole situation well at all.  He does not have a good relationship with his family.  The strongest tie is to his father, with a neutral stance on his sister and a volatile bond with his mother and brother.  So now, he is sad that his father is dying.  He is angry that his father has done so much to destroy himself.  He is even angrier at his mother and brother who are completely dependent on his father, and in his view have caused his father more work than necessary to support them.  He is afraid of what is going to happen to them when/if his father dies, and he feels guilty that he does not want to help them in that situation.  My husband deals with this by alternating between bottling emotions up inside to pretend that nothing is bothering him and lashing out in yelling, crying fits about how awful and unfair everything is.  I feel completely helpless to help him out with any of it.  All his emotions are reasonable.  I do not have a much of a relationship with his family, but a big part of that is because they are so completely dysfunctional.  It is unhealthy to be around them and their drama.  Now he is forced to deal with it in an unpleasant way and with very little predictability about what will happen next.  He will not talk to me at all half the time and he scares me with crazy raving the other half.  I also have no practical advice.  There is no way to make his father behave.  We are probably going to have a weird and difficult time figuring out how to deal with his mother and brother when his father dies, regardless of whether it is tomorrow or five years from now.

On top of that situation, one of my best friends’ mother has also had a recent hospital stay.  I have gotten very few details from her though, so I do not at this moment what the status is.  A week ago her mother was in the hospital for a few days with severe anemia.  They gave her more blood and started her on iron supplements.  However, they could not figure out what went wrong to cause her blood count to drop so low in the first place.  The last I heard was that she was being released to go home.  I have reached out to my friend a few times to get an update since then, but she has not replied.  She could just be really busy, but I worry that there have been additional problems with her mother.  I live several hours away, and I feel completely unable to offer her any kind of help.  Given the situation with my husband’s family, I cannot go up there to check on her, visit her mother (who is a wonderful woman who always treated me like part of the family), or offer any kind of assistance to her.  Plus, there is always the possibility that I am overreacting and everything is fine with her mother recovering nicely at home.

I know that many people feel helpless when the people they care about are experiencing pain.  There are often situations where there just is not much anyone can do to ease the burden.  I know that my husband and my friend both know that I am here to listen and lend support to the best of my ability.  I just cannot help but feel that I should be doing more for both of them.

What about you?  Do any of you have any sage advice on how to get through these situations and how to help my loved ones out?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment