Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Confessions of a Book Addict

What is my favorite activity in the whole world?  Reading.  Here are some random facts about my self-diagnosed addiction to books.

I have probably read over a thousand books in my lifetime.  I like all genres and will give anything a try.  I read more fiction than non-fiction, but I do like the occasional biography, history, or real-life crime story.  I love epic fantasy, the more novels in the series, the better.  I am not ashamed that I like chick lit and romance novels, especially those that have strong female protagonists.  I still enjoy reading novels meant for children and young adults.  I have an incredibly hard time not finishing a book once I have started it even if I do not like it.  The only exceptions are textbooks (especially math and science ones).  I also find it difficult to read more than one novel at a time, because I was once scolded by a babysitter for not finishing the book she lent me before starting another one.  I have read books in as little as one day (even Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), and I have procrastinated reading over weeks (the little novella Billy Budd, Sailor nearly got the better of me).

I actually have a spreadsheet dedicated to books that I want to read.  I call it my Geek Page.  There are currently 242 entries on it, but some of those actually represent series with multiple books in them.  I gather the books from many sources.  I get recommendations from friends and family.  I read a book that I like, and so I look up more by the same author.  I hear about books through online forums and TV.  I pull some of them from reviews in Entertainment Weekly.  I probably get the most ideas from the articles on the Buzzfeed Books emails that I receive.  Some of the books that are on this list have been there since I created the spreadsheet (maybe eight or nine years ago?).  Some of them have only been on here a day or two.  I always delete books that I have completed, but I almost never delete a book I have not read yet.  While I dream about reading all of them some day, I am quite aware that I probably will never get through the list, especially since I add much faster than I delete.  Even though I have this magnificent list, I still randomly pull books off the shelves to read without having preselected them.

Despite my love for books, I do not actually own that many compared to some people I know.  I probably have a hundred or so, spread across several bookshelves and boxes.  I used to own a lot more, but after moving several times the joy of owning does not quite live up to the pain of packing and lugging boxes of books everywhere.  I have purged my collection over time, although it is very hard for me to get rid of a book.  I always give my books away; I never toss them in the garbage.  I actually find it much easier to never buy a book in the first place than to dispose of it after I already own it.  Because of this, I try to force myself to borrow the majority of the books I read, mostly from the library, sometimes from people I know.  This has the added benefit of being kinder to my budget as well.  I much prefer to read an actual book where I can turn the pages, but I still do own and use an e-reader.  My Nook has probably twenty or so books on it.  I have bought them mostly to take on vacation as I try not to travel with library books lest they get lost, or non-fiction books that I think I might want to reference more than once in my life.  Someday when I have unlimited money and space, I hope to own a library that would rival the one in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast movie.

I attended the National Book Festival this past weekend in Washington DC.  I met a college friend there, and we went to two of the sessions.  The first was a panel discussion between Jane Hirshfield, Azar Nafisi, and Jeffrey Brown entitled Why Literature Matters.  The panelists joked with the audience that the topic probably did not need to be debated much for an audience who was at the National Book Festival.  The second program was a presentation given by Bryan Stevenson about some of the ideas discussed in his book Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption.  The book is based on his opinions about the flaws in our nation’s justice system, drawn from his experience as a lawyer working with some of the most hopeless cases in the court system.  He was a phenomenal speaker who clearly articulated his ideas and provided plenty of anecdotal evidence.  His book is now on my Geek Page, waiting to be read.

I would dearly love to be paid to read all day, every day.  Yet I did not go into a career that had anything to do with reading books.  The main reason for this was that English classes drained me.  Although I did really well in them, analyzing and critiquing books was very hard work for me.  I felt that the process of doing English homework sucked all the fun out of too many books that could have been enjoyed for their own sake.  I feared this would probably hold true in the professional world as well.  So for now, I read books to enjoy them, not to edit them, analyze them, critique them, or pretend that I have all the answers to why the authors wrote them in the first place.  However, if someone wants to pay me to put their library to good use, I am more than happy to accept the position.  If I ever have the time to do much volunteer work, literacy initiatives are at the top of the list.

Now it is time to go read a book.  I am currently enjoying The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom.  It is a rather complicated non-fiction read that has made me really wish I was more familiar with some of the past’s more famous thinkers (Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Freud, Marx, etc.).  Next in the pile is a more light-hearted pick by one of my favorite authors, Home from the Sea by Mercedes Lackey.  Both are due back to the library in a week and a half, so I need to get reading.

What is on your reading list?  Any recommendations for what I should read next?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment