Thursday, March 9, 2017

Month of Questions

For the month of February, I asked a question on Facebook every day.  Why you ask?  Because I was bored, because I was tired of seeing emotional political hatred spewed everywhere, and because I thought it would be interesting to see people’s responses.  For this week’s blog, I am sharing the questions, my personal answers, and any interesting tidbits from the responses I received.

If you could spend today doing anything you wanted, what would you do? (8 responses, not including my own)
I would like to be home curled under the blankets, sipping tea, and reading one of the many books in my To Read pile.

It's Groundhog Day. Is Punxsutawney Phil the real deal? Are you happy with this year's prediction? (1)
Even I never responded to this one.  If I had, I would have said he is a marketing scheme, but he is still cute.  I do not want six more weeks of winter though, so I am glad he seems to have gotten it wrong this year.
This was the least answered question.

Are cats or dogs better? Why? (10)
Cats, definitely cats. They do not demand too much attention, do not knock me down by jumping on me, do not require walks multiple times a day, and still provide plenty of cuddles.
Dogs were the winner by about 6 to 4 (and there was one joke about cooking them that did not answer the actual question).

Someone has given you a check for $100K (all taxes already taken care of...yes I'm an accountant). What do you do with the money? (18)
I would put half away to use toward our house upgrade, then use the rest to take a really nice vacation, give a bit to my uncle, give a bit to my sister, pay off my car, and maybe a bit toward an upgrade to my husband's car (if he's nice to me).
Number 1 answer was to pay off debt.
This was the most answered question.

Your luck continues. Today someone handed you $1,000,000 (after taxes). What do you do with it? (7)
I would use $300K to pay off the mortgage on the townhouse, $250K to invest in stocks, $250K down payment on a second home (unsure if I would go for a single family home in this area and rent out the townhouse, or if I would go for a vacation home somewhere away from the hustle of DC and try to generate some rental income part of the year on it), and the remainder would be used on some nice vacations, some to my uncle, some to my sister, some to charity, and other little splurges or gifts as seemed appropriate.
Number 1 answer was invest and/or real estate.  My favorite answer though was “I would convert it all to coins and ski down it like Scrooge McDuck”.

What are some of your favorite songs of all time? (8)
Although I have many favorites, the two I will list here are Epic by Faith No More (I first heard this in elementary school, in fact I think it was one of the first music videos I ever saw, and it has stuck with me since then) and Straight Lines by Silverchair (favorite song by my favorite band).

What are some current songs you really like (released in the last year or so)? (5)
I find a lot of songs to love, but here are two of my current favorites, Heathens by Twenty One Pilots and Here by Alessia Cara.
My mother stole one that I was originally going to use in my answer Disturbed’s cover of The Sound of Silence.

Oh no, disaster has struck. You can no longer stay in the state where you currently live. Which state do you move to? (16)
Either back to Pennsylvania or to North Carolina.
The most popular answer with five people choosing it was Montana.  I need to go see what they are doing up there to make it so attractive.

Do you like to read? What are some really good or really bad books you have read recently? (8)
I read so many books. Two recent ones that I really liked were We Were Liars by e. lockhart (ending took me by complete surprise) and Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. One I did not like so much and thought was completely over-hyped was Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff.

Summer, winter, spring, and fall, I just love and hate them all.  Which season is the best? Why? (7)
I am going with Fall. It is sunny and still warm enough to be outside. I love being cozy in sweaters and blankies. I like the colors and the crisp air. Fall feels happy to me.

This used to be L’s (much younger cousin) favorite question. Who's your favorite Disney princess? (9)
Belle
In the discussion, it was decided that Princess Leia does now count as an answer to this question.

Are you happy with your career choice? If you could make the choice again, what would you do? Even if you are happy with what you are doing, is there anything else you think might have been a good alternative? (4)
I like accounting, but I sometimes get frustrated with the corporate environment. I am considering making the switch to teach accounting at a college level.

What is something you want to see one day (sky is the limit...event, show, landmark, whatever)? (7)
My first thought was the northern lights. I also want to see the Grand Canyon, the Phantom of the Opera performed live, Paquita as performed by the Mariinsky Ballet Company, and of course, world peace.

Happy Valentine's Day! Is Valentine's Day primarily a) a romantic holiday or b) a marketing scheme? (8)
B....but I'll still take the chicken parmigiana, asparagus, and cheesecake my husband is feeding me tonight.
Overwhelmingly the people chose B.

Do you speak any foreign languages? Would you like to be able to speak any foreign languages? (6)
Once upon a time, I dreamed of being the person who spoke several languages fluently. It did not come true. I know the little bit of Spanish that I have not lost in the years since college.

Pepsi or Coke? (12)
I like both considering I am a complete sugar addict, however I prefer Pepsi.
Coke was the more popular answer.

How do you cope with stress? (8)
I seem to have inherited my mother's method of coping with stress...eating. I also like to come home and collapse on the couch to watch old crime serials (Law & Order type shows). I am not good with stress management and need help with it.

Do you have any quotes (sayings, poems, quips, etc.) that inspire you? (8)
I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship. - Louisa May Alcott.  I no longer remember where I first heard this one, but it has stuck with me for decades.

Sunday is my chore day (usually). What is a chore you do not mind completing? What is a chore you hate doing? (8)
I like paying bills. I hate cleaning the bathroom.

What are you afraid of? (8)
The dark and being the center of attention.

What are some great restaurants to try? (5)
In this area, we have tons of great choices. A few of my favorites: Kabob Express in Centreville (best Afghani style gyro ever), Stone's Cove in Herndon (a kitbar...most plates are shareable), and Beacon Bar & Grill in DC (Sunday brunch is fantastic...pricey but so worth the splurge).

It was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini that she wore for the first time today. Was the background yellow and the polka-dots a different color, or were the polka-dots yellow and the background different? (6)
I say yellow polka-dots...for some reason I always envisioned a pink background.
Although not unanimous, we seem to have concluded the polka-dots are yellow.

What is something you wish you could do better? (7)
Be more artsy/crafty.

Today's question comes to you courtesy of my husband. Which is better (funnier?), a rhino the size of a hamster or a hamster the size of a rhino? (5)
I prefer the idea of a hamster sized rhino. I keep visualizing this teeny rhino running around with a Napoleon complex, acting really aggressive and nothing is taking him seriously.
No one wanted a giant hamster.

Can you cook? What are some dishes you like to make? (8)
I like to cook, and I think I am good at it. However, I do not like to do it after working all day. Luckily, my husband does most of it now. I love to make pasta, mostly because I love to eat pasta.

What is your ideal vacation spot? You can be specific like Paris or more generic like beach. (6)
I like more toned down vacations. Beach, mountain resorts. I just want to relax and read, and not run around to all the touristy stuff.

What is something good that happened in February? (9)
I had a whole week off, by myself, no traveling, no obligations. I got a much needed home project done. And I read two complete books!

Thank you for all who participated in my February month of questions. Did you have fun? (3)
I had fun.

I definitely had fun doing it.  I did not have a ton of responses, and what I did get was mostly the same people every time, but those that answered seemed to enjoy it.  I did actually get asked to continue to do them.  I cannot commit to it on a daily basis any longer, but I said maybe a couple on weekends.

What about you?  What are your answers to any or all of these questions?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment