Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Herndon Festival 2015

One of my favorite things to do during the summer is to go to outdoor festivals, fairs, and local celebrations.  I have many fond memories of the ones I grew up with in Pennsylvania.  In Virginia, I go to them less often, but there is one that I have attended nearly every year that I have lived here and that is Herndon Festival.

Herndon Festival runs for four days over the last weekend in May each year.  It is operational Thursday in the evening, Friday in the evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday afternoon.  The best part is that much of it can be enjoyed for free.  There is no entrance fee.  There is free parking at two offsite locations with shuttle bus rides provided to the festival grounds.  All of the on-stage entertainment and fireworks can be watched for free.  You do have to pay for carnival rides, food, and wares of the various vendors.  Window shopping however is always free.

This past weekend was the 2015 Herndon Festival.  I made it three of the four days.  I have yet to make it to all four days, but I will keep trying.  Here are some of my highlights from this weekend.

Arts and Crafts:  I enjoy going around to all the stalls to look at the goods available for sale.  There is a lot of variety, and everyone can find something they would enjoy.  There is artwork, jewelry, clothing, bath products, candles, children’s toys, pet treats, garden paraphernalia, food products, etc.  I am much more of a viewer than a purchaser, but this year I did actually buy some small items.  I got some citrus scented lotion, some herbal skin balm remedies (respiratory, focus, and calm), and some dips to eat.

Entertainment:  The free entertainment is one of my favorite parts of the festival.  In the past they have had some fairly well-known groups play at the festival, such as Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Josh Kelley, The Smithereens, and Fastball.  This year I did not recognize any of the acts by name, but I still enjoyed them.  Thursday I saw a local rap artist called JDVBBS and an act called Cutting Edge Dueling Pianos.  I really loved the dueling pianos which was very interactive and accepted crowd requests.  Saturday I saw an 80s hair band cover group called Teaze.  This band was great fun with hits everyone in the crowd could sing and witty banter in between numbers.

Fireworks:  I love fireworks.  I have liked them ever since I was a little girl.  I am not a fan of setting them off myself or being near amateur pyros playing with them either.  However, a good professional program done from a safe distance puts a smile on my face every time.  The ones on Saturday evening lived up to my expectations with a good twenty minutes done to a medley of radio hits.

Food:  The best part of the festival is all the fair food.  If all I have time for is a few minutes to grab some food, I would count it as a festival well spent.  I indulged in some food every day that I was there.  I had hot sausage, pulled pork, empanadas, and ice tea.  I try different vendors each time I go there, but a consistent favorite of mine is Jimmy’s Old Town Tavern which is local restaurant that can be enjoyed throughout the year.

There is also a carnival, a 10K/5K race, a business expo, and a kids’ alley available.  I do not really explore these areas much, but the crowds indicate these are popular as well.  The festival is located in Historic Downtown Herndon and so there is easy access to many permanent community offerings as well (stores, restaurants, municipal building, train depot, library).  Plus who can beat several hours enjoying good weather (hopefully) and the company of friends.


I hope to see you all there next year for all four days.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment