Wednesday, December 2, 2015

So Here Is How You Did – The Performance Review

So a few months ago, I wrote about completing my self-evaluation for work.  A couple of week ago, I received my completed performance review from my boss and went to the meeting to go over it all.  I know there was quite a space between that first post and this one.  I guess the company failed at the “within 90 days of anniversary” policy that they have.  My self-evaluation seemed to meet their approval.  The review of my past year went along the lines I was expecting.  The short-term goals that were given to me were mostly predictable.  The long-term career path they provided for me though took me by surprise, and not necessarily a pleasant one.

My self-evaluation seemed to satisfy my boss.  She had no comments to add to my list of tasks and responsibilities.  So apparently, I made no glaring omissions and I did not concern them with an over-extension of my authority in the company.  She had no real comments on my significant accomplishments, except to congratulate me on completing many of the goals that were set for me last year (both by myself and the company).  For the short-term and long-term goals, she just told me that I had set good ones for the company department.  Many of the things I included were very task-specific things that I want my team to complete over the next year or two.  I did not include much in the way of career-oriented/personal growth goals, and she included some of this in the set of objectives she gave me for the upcoming year.

The next section is a list of categories that help the supervisor evaluate the employee’s job performance according to the metrics that are important to the company.  I receive a “grade” in each category and some comments to justify the rating (good or bad).  Then all the categories are averaged together, and I receive an overall “grade” for my year.  This year I received a 2.08 (scale is 1 best to 5 worst), which means I frequently exceed expectations.  This is great considering that I have been in the position for less than a year, and I feel very unconfident in some of the aspects of my job.  My strongest categories according to my boss are corporate policies/procedures, initiative, quality improvement, and company identification (basically I follow the rules well).  My lowest scores were in internal controls, knowledge, problem-solving/judgement/decision-making, planning/organization, and communication skills, which mostly contained comments related back to me being new in the position and still learning.  She identified a strength in managing subordinates, and a weakness in communicating with superiors.

The final written section is a list of goals she would like me to focus on in the next performance period.  Nothing on here was unexpected, and only one thing concerned me.  I am to take over greater management responsibility for my staff.  Previously, I was managing their daily tasks, but not performing most of the official employee management tasks (on paper they all reported to my manager instead of me).  Now they all report to me officially, and I will be responsible for many of the supervisor tasks such as performance reviews.  She also gave me a list of tasks she would like me to transition from her to me, most of which I already had identified as something I should learn. There was one project in which I need to put some serious effort learning how to manage.  This is something that used to be done by our department but it was taken away due to a material weakness identified by the auditors.  It was not my fault it was taken away in the first place, but it is now my responsibility to spend time with the man who took it over and learn enough that this can be transferred back to our team.  Finally, she indicated I would probably gain some not-yet-identified tasks stemming from the accounting department reorganization which began a few months ago.  The final goal is to take some seminars to gain greater strength in communicating with my superiors.  This is the only goal that makes me really nervous, partly because I do not like communicating with my superiors and partly because it is part of the not-so-pleasant surprise I mentioned earlier.

It is not written anywhere in my official performance evaluation, but in the meeting my boss brought up my long-term career trajectory with the company.  My boss will probably retire in the next 5-10 years, and they are starting to plan for her successor.  They have apparently identified me as one of the potential candidates for her replacement.  I was actually surprised they would see me in that position, especially in that time frame.  I shocked her by not displaying great enthusiasm for the idea and by voicing hesitation in seeing myself in that position.  The idea bothers me for a few reasons.  One, her position does not seem very fun.  She goes to a lot of meetings, she does a lot of research, she acts as a go-between various departments, she makes organizational calls, etc.  I like burying myself in the details and playing with the spreadsheets, not really orchestrating the big picture.  Two, personality-wise I think I am a bad fit for upper-management.  I am rather passive and non-confrontational.  I think I would have a hard time being a voice for the accounting department up against the executive team and other departments.  Third, I do not think they actually want me in that position either, but are just trying to figure out what to do since the girl they were grooming to fill it left the company.  They need to prep somebody to fill that position (or at least do some of the work).  Plus, I think they want me to feel like I have somewhere to grow so that I do not leave too.  At least for now they want me to think I am a potential candidate.  It does not change the fact that I just do not think I want it.

Bonus:  My department participated in a 360 degree performance review for all the managers.  I received my feedback from that review in a separate meeting from my official performance review.  I had a really low response rate (3 out of a potential 63 respondents), but overall I got a 1.15 (again 1 best, 5 worst).  Apparently, my co-workers want me to recognize/reward performance more, consider employee point of view when making decisions, and be more aware of employee developmental needs.

That is it.  My review is done for the year.  I can breathe for a few months before the process starts again.  For now, I will work on my short-term goals, I will think about what my real long-term goals are, and I will resist the efforts to groom me for a position that I do not want.


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment