Saturday, May 13, 2017

Future of My Blog

As you know, I took all of April and some of May off from blog writing.  I did this because of my yearend close at work and to spend some time reevaluating the future of my blog.  My fiscal close is almost over now.  The company is still being audited and working on the final 10-K preparation, but really my team’s part is done except for answering questions as they arise.  Over the past month and a half, I have reevaluated the blog many times.  Sometimes I wanted to completely discontinue it.  Other times I thought I would just return to the prior posting schedule.  I even had one insane period where I considered transferring to a better platform and building it into something bigger.  In the end though, I have chosen to return to the blog under a more relaxed schedule.

I am going to continue writing blog posts, but I will not be using the once a week format that I was trying to maintain.  Instead, I am going to write as I have time and motivation.  If this ends up being once a week, so be it.  If this means the blog dwindles down to nothing, then that is fine too.  I hope it ends up being somewhere in the middle.  I am reluctant to give my blog up permanently, but my life is very overwhelming at the moment.  My position at work is too demanding, even if the yearend part is over.  My social schedule leaves me exhausted.  My family life is strained.  I need to take some time to figure out how to fix all of that.  This leaves me less time to dedicate to the blog.  However, I still have hopes of becoming more of a writer, and therefore I do not want discontinue it completely.  Thus, I am trying to strike a balance of some presence on my blog without it becoming too much for me.

I also anticipate the nature of my blog changing in the future.  Lately, I had been trying to structure my blog a bit more, including several regular features (Quick Hits, Front Room Project, Around Town, etc.).  None of these will be continuing because it puts a lot of pressure on me to do extra things to include in the features.  While I still might put some reviews or personal project updates in there, they will be isolated pieces and not part of any consistent series.  I also intend to make the blog a bit more personal and introspective than it has been in the past as I try to work through the things I mentioned above.  I know this is not the first time I have mentioned using my blog this way, but now I am more comfortable with the idea.  I no longer fear retribution because really no one reads my blog, and as far as I know no one close to me does at all.  While I still am reluctant to do the soul searching required, it needs to be done because my life is starting to take a physical toll on me and I am ready to feel better.


Where this will lead me and you, I do not know.  Hopefully, we will walk forward together into something that is helpful to me, maybe helpful to you, and perhaps even interesting here and there.  I do not know when the next post will be, but until then I hope you are out living the life you always dreamed you would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment