Friday, May 31, 2019

May 2019 Reflections


May was a blur, partly due to activity and partly due to being sick.  It was also a bit frustrating on the job front which occupied a lot of my mental real estate.  Here is a rundown of some of my activity and thoughts from the month.

PA Trip

My big event for the month was a trip to Pennsylvania to see my sister and Baby T.  My sister is going through some personal drama at the moment.  I will not get into her private details, but the situation was such that I was not super comfortable staying with her this time.  I knew that she wanted me to be there despite the things happening though, so I went through with a sleepover on an air mattress in my niece’s room.  Baby T left me alone in her room the first night while she slept with my sister, but she joined me in her own bed the next two nights.  I think she enjoyed the sleepover, so I am glad I stayed for her sake.  The rest of the trip went as expected.  I arrived on a Friday, and mostly just hung out with my sister and Baby T.  We had dinner, watched some TV, played with toys, and talked until bedtime.  Saturday was breakfast with my parents and then the day spent at my grandmother’s house. Most of the local family was there to help grandma out with several home maintenance/cleaning projects.  My mom also bought a birthday cake for me and the family sang Happy Birthday.  The evening was another quiet night with my sister and Baby T.  Sunday I met up with my college friend for a late lunch at Emporio:  A Meatball Joint.  It is currently one of my favorite places to eat around Pittsburgh, and she likes it enough to make the drive down from Greenville.  Sunday evening, I went to my parents’ house to visit, because I felt like I owed them a few extra hours since I did not spend much of the weekend actually talking to them.  Monday morning, I packed up and left the house as my sister was leaving for work.  I stopped for breakfast with my grandma at Bob Evans, and then headed on home.

No Husband Weekend

The last weekend of the month was a very rare event where I had no husband at home.  He does not go away without me very often, so I try to cherish the few times that it happens.  In this case, he went to a weekend music festival a few hours away with one of his friends.  He left Saturday morning.  I spent most of the day with the wife of the friend that accompanied him.  We went to a small town festival about an hour away but did not spend much time there.  We left from there and went to Hillsborough Winery & Brewery.  I got a glass of a sparkling white wine and a pretzel board.  There is plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, ample parking, a decent food menu to go with the alcohol, and gorgeous views of the vineyard.  We went from there to Bear Chase Brewing Company.  I ended up not getting anything here, but just sat with my friend while she enjoyed her flight.  Bear Chase is also a very nice venue, but it was incredibly crowded for the afternoon with a lot of families running around.  We ended the night with pasta and gelato from Ciao, a local Italian restaurant.  Sunday, I wanted to stay home to relish the silence of a house to myself.  I went on two small errands during the day, but otherwise stayed in as planned.  I decided to go with a media free day to enhance the silence, so no TV, no podcasts, no Youtube, and very little online activity.  I mostly read, wrote, slept, and enjoyed my time.  Monday, my husband was home incredibly early which is typical for him.  We had our neighbors over for dinner since none of us had Memorial Day plans.  It was a good weekend.  I just wish I got them more often.

Birthdays & Anniversary

May always seems on the busy side because my birthday, my husband’s birthday, and our wedding anniversary are all in it.  I like to laugh and say we planned it that way so we could just celebrate for the whole month.  In reality though, I feel like these special days tend not to be such a big deal in our house.  We have dinner and give presents for each birthday.  I kind of miss the family gatherings that were the norm growing up, so I was glad to receive birthday cake while I was in PA even though it was technically a week after my birthday.  We always did cake and ice cream with the family when I was little (for everyone not just me), but it is hard to recreate as an adult.  My family is too far away, my husband’s family is not a good substitute, and while going out for friend’s birthdays is normal in our group, I somehow cannot bring myself to order cake and invite them all over for it.  Our anniversary is usually spent on a nice dinner, but my husband seemed uninterested in it this year.  We ended up just going to Foster’s Grill.  We never do presents for the anniversary, which has always been my choice.  I guess it just seemed a little bland this year compared to prior years, but I think that is where our life is at the moment.

Sick

I brought home a little souvenir from PA.  My niece was coughing while I was there, and I started a few days after I got home.  It started with coughing and chest pain, progressed to nasal congestion, then drained out, and resumed to just coughing with less chest pain.  It is about two weeks after symptoms began, and I still have a little residual coughing, but it is mostly cleared at this point.  This put a damper on my spirit and motivation for the month.  It was not a super productive month, but between being out of town and being sick half the month, I feel like I have an excuse.

CPA License

I bought the AICPA Ethics course.  I have actually completed all the modules at this point.  I was originally going to take the final exam today.  However, I got a little side-tracked with other things.  Plus, I thought it might be better to take it when I am home alone.  I am not expecting any issues with it, but it always easier to accomplish things when no one is here to distract me.  Once I pass the Ethics exam, I have some paperwork to complete and then I should be able to submit my initial application.  I also emailed the VA Board of Accountancy with the questions I had pertaining to my incomplete checklist on the site, the missing Congratulatory Letter, and the experience requirement.  I received answers to all of that very quickly.  Fingers crossed, I will have everything submitted by the end of next week, barring any surprises in the application process.

Job Search

My job search has been frustrating this month.  I will take some responsibility as I have not been as diligent about searching and applying for jobs as I could be.  However, the things that I have been applying to are going nowhere.  I did not get the job that I interviewed for last month.  I have not really heard back from anywhere else, except a couple rejection emails from places that never contacted me.  I appreciate the emails though, because then I can at least cross them off the list completely.  I thought I was off to a good start last month when I got contacted by two of the first places where I submitted applications, but it seems to have been a false start.  I still have enough time and money that I am not super anxious, but I need to start trying harder and redefining my process.  Part of this means looking within to determine what I am really willing to do in terms of commute, salary, and responsibilities.  Part of this means trying harder when applying for jobs as I admit I have been a little lazy about crafting cover letters and modifying my resume to the specific job.  I also need to start getting creative about job searching as the boards do not seem to get me close to where I think I want to be.  Hopefully, I will have something better to report next month.

The Witness

I picked up a video game in May.  I tend to not play too many video games, because they take up a lot of time and most do not really interest me anyway.  Of the video games I have played in the past, my favorite genre is the puzzle game.  The Witness came out a few years ago.  I heard the guys on Giant Bombcast discussing how great it was back then and it peaked my interest.  My husband bought it for me about a year ago, but I never got around to playing it.  This seemed like a good time to start it, seeing as I have the time to put into it now that I am done with the major studying but not yet back to work.  In total there are 664 puzzles to solve.  I am currently at 384-ish.  It is possible for me to “complete” the game without doing all the puzzles, so until I get into all the areas it is hard for me to tell what I have missed.  I am not a puzzle purist.  I looked up some general tips and tricks at the beginning, which gave me some basic puzzle mechanics to get me started.  I looked up two more pointed hint guides to get through two puzzles where I was stuck though I did not look up the actual solutions on them.  I looked up the actual solutions on a handful of puzzles in an area of the game that relied on audio tones to solve them.  Historically I have had trouble with sound-based puzzles, so I do not feel bad that I cheated in this area.  I am much more interested in getting through the game to the end than I am about doing it 100% on my own.  I do put effort into solving things myself first.  I certainly walked away and came back to puzzles after learning more in other areas of the map which made previously unsolvable puzzles suddenly clear.  I feel like it is a lot more fun to look stuff up after a certain amount of effort than to have to walk away completely because I have reached a wall on a particular item.  With any luck, I will have completed the game next week.

Personal Products Project

I am still just trying to work my way through all the products I own.  I am making the best progress on skincare.  Although I have a few categories that I just have too much based on how much product I can actually use (hello lip balm even after decluttering most of the unopened ones I had), I have managed to get through a number of half-used bottles and sample sizes in other areas.  I feel like bath & body products are hopeless.  I have a lot of gifts from people in this area.  I am trying to make myself use things regularly, but I have so much I probably can go for years without running out on certain categories.  Plus, I have a few staples that I really want to repurchase even if I technically have other things that would work (i.e. – my beloved CeraVe SA Cream even though I have multiple scented body lotions I could technically use).  Haircare is an area where my routine is fairly minimalist, but I have a lot of random samples of products mostly from the subscription boxes I used to get.  I have been trying to branch out and try new things occasionally, but progress has been slow.  Makeup is the area where I feel the most guilt.  I have a ton of product from subscription boxes, but I also have a lot of random items I purposely bought myself because they were pretty and popular on Youtube.  I have decluttered a lot of makeup items over the past few months.  I am trying not to throw things out that are still technically usable but I admit there have been one or two that I just knew I would never use again for whatever reason and so tossed.  It has become obvious to me how much makeup I have accumulated and how little of it I can actually use up.  Still, I am trying to just rotate through it and slowly pare it down as I go.  For May, I used up/trashed 10 items – 1 lash primer, 2 eyeshadows, 1 liquid highlight, 1 nail polish, 1 firming face mask, 1 SPF face moisturizer, 1 face mist, 1 perfume, and 1 body oil.  I did not buy anything for the month.  Next month, I plan to do a half year summary of everything I used up and where I stand going forward.  I am toying with the idea of doing a lessons learned series during the second half of the year, one for each main area of skincare, bath & body, haircare, and makeup.

Books

I have no real commentary on my reading selection for May.  I read some decent books, but nothing that stood out as particularly amazing or terrible.  Here are the books I read during the month with my ratings (1-Awful, 2-Disappointing, 3-Decent, 4-Good, 5-Amazing).

Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate – 4 stars
Stillwatch by Mary Higgins Clark – 3 stars
So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson – 3 stars
The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter – 3 stars
The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett, & Amanda Pressner – 4 stars

There you have it, my month in review.  I am planning on a quiet June filled with festivals, hiking, and other simple summer fun.

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment