Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Ugh! Self-Evaluations

I just reached my sixth anniversary with the company that currently employs me.  Every year on my anniversary, I get a Happy Anniversary card from the human resources department and a review from my boss.  The review process starts with a self-evaluation form that I must complete, but which I absolutely hate doing.  The rest of the review does not really bother me much.  I can handle reading the critique my boss completes, and I really do not mind sitting through the meeting where we go over it all.  I am good at my job, my boss really likes me, and communication is fairly open between us.  Therefore, I am rarely surprised by anything that comes up in the review process in terms of my current performance.  The self-evaluation portion of the review though fills me with anxiety.   It involves three simple sections to fill out, but they still fill me with dread every year.

The first section is a straight-forward list of my tasks and responsibilities.  I have my job description and a department task list that I can use to help me complete this section.  Plus, I am familiar with what I do on a day to day basis at work.  So this section is usually not that bad.  This year it caused me more stress than normal, because this is the first time I have done an evaluation since being promoted to the accounting supervisor position almost a year ago.  The past four years have mostly been a copy and paste process from the prior year with maybe a few updates to reflect changes in responsibility around the department.  This year, I have a few tasks that I am still doing from my old job because they have not been transitioned yet, but the rest is all new.  I do know which journal entries and reconciliations I am reviewing on a regular basis, so that was easy enough.  However, I was a little stressed out about what management responsibilities I should be including in this section.  I really do not feel like I do a good job at the supervision portion of the position, and I am a little lost sometimes on the boundaries between my responsibilities and my boss’ responsibilities.  I am worried that I either missed something big that they think I should be doing or that I came across as too arrogant about what my role actually entails.

The second section is my list of significant accomplishments for the year.  This is my least favorite section to fill out.  No matter what I put in here, it always seems sparse.  I go to work every day and I do my job to the best of my ability, which I think is a pretty good accomplishment.  However, I do not really work on big projects or unusual assignments.  I am an accountant.  We have a list of routine tasks that we do each month and each quarter, and it does not really change much.  I have been relying on my MBA program to provide some bulk to this section for the last two years.  This year I had the promotion from last fall to include.  Most years, I feel like I include a couple random trainings I took during the year and a couple new reconciliations I learned how to do.  The list always seems so pathetic once I have completed it.  I worry they are going to be disappointed when they see how little I have accomplished during the year.

The final section is a list of goals, broken out into short-term and long-term.  Most of the time, I feel like this section is practically fiction.  I have an idea of the career path they expect from me within the company, and so I cater my goals to make it look like I am on that path.  I also include vague goals like “continue to strengthen my accounting knowledge and leadership skills to grow professionally in the future”.  This year was actually better than most on the short-term section because I do have some ideas about how to improve some of the department tasks that my staff completes and some things I should learn in order to take on some responsibilities that my boss currently does while I am learning my new role.  The long-term section was still vague and somewhat fictional though.  I kept the generic “continue to strengthen my accounting knowledge and leadership skills to grow professionally in the future” items that have been on there for six years.  I also added some that make it look like I intend to get my CPA (Certified Public Accountant) license and continue on a management path.  Truthfully, I do not want to move up in management at my current company because none of my bosses have jobs that seem like they are worth the stress that come with them.  I also am not sure that I want the type of job where I really need a CPA license.  I feel like I cannot say this though, because the department has expectations of what its supervisors and managers will do.  Plus, I do not want the lectures about wasting my potential and sabotaging my career if I do not get my license or continue on the management path.

Right or wrong, good or bad, I filled out the sections and sent it to my boss yesterday.  Now I have to wait for her to do her section, and then for it to go through the channels of review (at least two more levels of management and human resources have to sign off on it).  Eventually, I will have a meeting with her to go over it all.  I guess we will see if what I wrote is in line with what they expect from me.

What about you?  Do you have to do self-evaluations?  Do you like them?  Do you see them as open communication tools to further your careers?  Or do you feel the same pressure I do to fill them out according to the company’s plan and not your own plan for the future?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment