Wednesday, August 12, 2015

While the Husband’s Away, the Wife Will Play

I know I just made the title very exciting, but the reality really is not as fun as the headline implies.  My husband is away for the week on a business trip.  This is the second one in a month, and it seems likely he will be going on another next month.  He does not actually travel that much for work, but I usually get three or four weeks a year to myself.  So what does a wife do when she is all on her own?  No, I am not having wild parties and passionate affairs, but I do the things that I cannot enjoy (at least not as much) when he is around.

First, I love having more time to myself in the mornings and evenings.  Although I love my husband, he seems to eat up large chunks of my time.  Some of this is used just being with him, often doing things I would not do on my own.  I watch TV shows that I would not normally watch, I talk about politics way more than I want, I let him lecture me on scientific theories I do not understand, I go to shows that do not interest me, and I visit with friends, some of whom I do not like that much, just so he will be happy.  I am not complaining about these things really, because I love him and I want to make him happy.  But without him here, I do not have to put any time into them at all and this frees up hours of evening space.  The other chunk of time comes from not having to do the little things that pop up because of him.  I only have to make one lunch in the morning instead of two.  I can get up a little later because I do not have to maneuver my bathroom time around his morning routine.  I can microwave a dinner without feeling as if I am cheating him out of a full meal.  I create half the dishes, so I do not have to do them as often.  I am free to fill my time with things that make me happy, like reading quietly for hours or watching Law & Order marathons.

Second, I am enjoying blissful quiet.  My husband has ADHD and seems to crave chaos all around him all the time.  I, on the other hand, enjoy moments of quiet solitude without the need for all that noise.  In fact, I often feel overstimulated and overwhelmed by the volume he creates in our house.  I do not like to have music playing all the time.  I do not need to have video games emitting explosions and fighting noises to feel entertained.  I never turn on the TV the moment I walk through the door just to have it playing in the background.  In fact it has only been on for 45 minutes while I watched one Law & Order episode since he has been gone.  Right now, I am sitting in the kitchen listening to the white noise of the air conditioner and the song of the night playing outside my window.  I can think better, can be more creative, and can produce more work when I am not fighting with a dozen things competing for my attention.

Third, I am enjoying a change in diet.  I almost always change my diet when he goes away, but I do not always change it in the same way.  Sometimes, I feel the pleasure of just stocking up on microwavable things that do not require any effort.  Those kind of simple meals are perfectly acceptable to me, but are not big enough to satisfy him.  He is a meat and potatoes type of person, while I am happy as a chicken patty person.  Sometimes, I eat things that he does not like.  I can order pizza with tons of veggies and no meat if I want it.  I can eat mac & cheese and tuna out of a can without any comments about the smell.  I can make beef stroganoff which he told me to never make him, practically on our first date.  Sometimes I pig out in an epic manor.  I eat things that are very unhealthy and in much bigger quantities than I really should.  However, no one is here to see me do it and so I do not have to feel ashamed about the gluttony.  Plus, I do not have to share which makes it all the more tempting.  I hate it when I bring home a delicious something only to feel like I did not get my fill because he has eaten it all before I could.  This time has been mostly of third variety.  I have had almost all take out and in way larger quantities than I normally allow myself to indulge (that bathroom scale is not my friend this week).

Finally, I love having the bed all to myself at night.  It usually takes me a day or so to adjust to him not being in the house.  Although I have experience being on my own, I am so used to him being here that I am not really adapted to the noises of the house settling around us and the neighbors on either side.  So I get a little jumpy by the unfamiliar bumps and creaks, especially at night when I am just drifting off to sleep.  Once I get used to it though, I love having the room all to myself.  I can sprawl out on the bed in any fashion I want without bumping into him.  I can have as many or as few blankets on the bed as I want.  I can open the window to let in the cool night air.  No one tries to hug me or hold on to me while I am sleeping.  No one wakes me up in the middle of the night by making trips to the bathroom.  No one plays Youtube videos all night because they need noise to sleep.  No one snores!  I sleep much better when he is not here (after the first night or two anyway).  So much so, that I often think about having separate bedrooms on a permanent basis, but so far I have not been brave enough to make the request.

There they are, my reasons for loving his business trips.  I do miss him being here, and I do not want him to go away permanently.  I will be ready for him to return at the end of this week.  For now though, I will enjoy my week off from married life.  While my husband is out, I do indeed play.  It might not be as exciting as what some other women might do with their freedom, but I enjoy every minute of it.


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment