Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Not Much Progress – Front Room February 2016

It has been a month since I declared my intention to redo my front room.  I wish I could say I was really productive during January, but alas I did not make much progress.  I will get into some new pictures and the actual progress report in the moment, but first a little self-defense.  The first excuse I have is that January was a tough month for me.  If you follow my blog, then you already know that January was the quarter close and we had a huge blizzard.  Work and snow-shoveling took much of my weekend time that could otherwise have gone to working on the front room.  The second defense I have is that the room actually got worse than the original pictures.  We did Christmas with my stepson after I took the January photos, so I had more boxes and toys scattered across the floor than what was shown.  So while I did actually spend some time cleaning, it was more clearing the new stuff than working on the existing mess.  Now that the excuses are out of the way, we can move on to the comparisons.


The first picture is the January 2016 picture, the second the February version.  I did actually throw away some of the boxes that were already broken down and laying on the floor of the room.  I also broke down most of the remaining boxes but have not yet removed them from the room.  I did intentionally keep a couple boxes that were a good size for me to pack and move stuff as needed.  I also intentionally kept the kitties’ favorite boxes.  These will probably eventually go, but I did not want to deprive them before I needed to do so.  I know this section does not show much progress, but honestly I will probably focus more on the other half of the room first anyway.


Again, the first one is January and the second February.  This also does not show a lot of improvement.  I did clear up a few things that did not belong in this room from the floor area.  I also went through many of the things on my desk.  This does not make a big difference in the picture, but it does represent dealing with a bunch of documents that I had put aside to read “later”.  I have several stacks of paperwork on this side of the room that need to be sorted through and either filed for safekeeping or trashed.  I have come to the conclusion that I need to surge ahead with some planning and decision-making first.  It will be a lot easier to deal with the paperwork and other stuff in the boxes along the wall, if I have shelves and file cabinets to store kept items as I go through them.  Right now, I feel more like I am moving things around than cleaning them up.


The new picture actually looks worse than the first because there are more jackets and shirts hung on the posts.  I tried to move some things into the closet, but they all migrated back out as they were worn.  Until I figure out something to organize seasonal coats, I think this area is likely to continue to be messy.


This is the one area that I actually did make progress.  I went through everything that was in the closet.  A good portion went back into the closet:  the coats, the bin full of hats and gloves, the outdoor games, etc.  Everything that did not belong in the closet was taken to the appropriate place, like the utility room or the upstairs closet.  The big black bag that was in the shoved in there was actually full of garbage.  Can you believe I have had a bag of garbage in my closet for almost two years?  Luckily, it was mostly packing materials and paper, so it was not smelly and disgusting.  This is now sitting by the front door and will go out with this week’s trash.  I do want to move some shoes from upstairs down to this closet.  I also will eventually need to figure out proper organization solutions so I can get the cardboard box out of there.  I probably will not go back to this space until later in the project though after I have completed some of the otherareas.

That wraps up my progress report.  It might not have been an extremely productive January, but at least I started.  For February, I am going to focus on the office area.  I will continue to sort through some of those boxes of paper.  I also need to start making some decisions on design so I can get furniture ordered.  Hopefully, next month’s progress report will be more exciting.


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment