Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Time Management Part 1 - Mornings

If you are anything like me, you have trouble with time management.  I feel so frustrated because it seems like I spend all of my time between Monday and Friday, working and sleeping.  There is so little time left for personal things, including both chores and fun stuff.  I have been working really hard to make some changes to my routines to make the most of the time before and after work.  I want to confine work to a normal time period (8:00 to 5:00), make my commutes as short as possible, have some fun in the evenings, and still get a full eight hours of sleep at night.  I am not particularly successful at any of these, but some of the changes I have implemented have definitely made some improvement.

This week I want to focus solely on the mornings.  First, I want to share with you the old routine.  My alarm used to go off at 5:45, but I would routinely hit the snooze button two or three times, resulting in my getting out of bed around 6:20-ish.  I would go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.  Then, I went downstairs where I fed the cats and cleaned the litter box.  Next, I would make my and my husband’s lunches which usually consisted of salads or leftovers for me, a sandwich for him, and some fruit and snacks for both of us.  I would make us each a smoothie for breakfast (coconut vanilla yogurt, chocolate protein powder, a banana, and a little milk…delicious).  I would drink my smoothie while watching one ten minute Youtube video and/or surfing the internet.  Around 7:30-ish, I would go back upstairs where hopefully my husband was completely cleared out of the bathroom.  I would take a shower, fix my hair, put on makeup, and get dressed.  Downstairs I would gather my stuff and head out the door around 8:15.  This would result in arriving at work around 9:00.

My morning routine did not make me happy at all.  I always felt tired.  I was wasting a lot of time and not getting done what needed to be done.  My routine took more than two hours and I could not figure out what was making it so long.  Plus, I was leaving for work really late which was making my commute worse and was forcing me to stay later at night to make up the time.  Looking at my goals, I knew I wanted to both sleep later and leave earlier.  This meant that I needed to take a really hard look at what I was doing each morning and determine what could be either moved or eliminated from the schedule.  I had to make some choices about what were my priorities, but I managed to make enough changes to eliminate an hour.

The very first thing I did was change my alarm to ring at 6:20, and I only allow myself one snooze.  If I cannot wake up in ten minutes, then I need more sleep and have to go to bed earlier at night.  The second thing I did was force myself to shut down the computer at night and not allow myself to start it again in the morning.  Even though I tried to limit myself to checking email and watching one short Youtube video, I had to be honest that I was losing time by clicking on random links that caught my attention.  The third thing I changed was my morning hygiene routine.  I moved my shower to the evenings.  I streamlined my hair (ponytails) and makeup routines (foundation, under eye corrector, and blush…lipstick I put on at work).  I might wish to be model perfect, but I just realistically do not have time to spend on straightening/curling my hair or applying a full face of makeup.  The last thing I did was to condense the breakfast/lunch process which was the hardest since it affected my husband as well as me.  With his reluctant approval, I have eliminated the smoothie and replaced it with granola bars and microwavable oatmeal bowls that can be eaten at work.  Lunch I changed to all prepackaged items which can be easily thrown together in a bag.  They are not the healthiest options, but it greatly reduced a time consuming process.

Now my morning routine looks more like this.  My alarm rings at 6:20, and I hit the snooze button one time before getting up.  I go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and wash my face.  Then, I go downstairs where I feed the cats and clean the litter box.  I put together a few items for my husband’s lunch.  I actually do not have to make mine because I put together a week’s worth of grab and go items on Sunday evening to keep at work for the week.  Next, I go back upstairs where I put my hair in a ponytail, put on my makeup, and get dressed.  I am usually out the door around 7:40 which gets me to work around 8:15.

My routine is still not perfect.  I would like to get to work before 8:00 which means I need to leave in the 7:20 range.  To accomplish this, I would need to either wake up earlier or shorten the process even further.  I have made some compromises that I wish I would not have had to make, like the less healthy lunches and the more casual look.  I run into some scheduling issues with my husband as he is not always out of the bathroom yet when I go back upstairs to get ready.  I also still find myself adding extra things to the schedule that eat away the time, including picking up things I see lying around, folding laundry that did not make it out of the dryer the night before, or just plain wandering around in a daze.  I will continue to work on my morning routine, trying to find better ways of doing it.  However, I am proud the improvement that I have made already.

What about you?  Do you find the morning routine hard to control?  Do you have any tips to help me with mine?


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment