Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Feeling Good – Front Room June 2016

As the title indicates, I am feeling good about the progress in the front room.  I managed to do a lot of work in both the cleaning and the designing phases.  I put the comparison photos below as usual, May 1 on the left, June 1 on the right.  There is a bit of accumulated mess in the area because my husband cannot seem to grasp the concept that I am trying to clear the front room out and keeps leaving things around.  There are the painting supplies from when he fixed our front door this weekend, although some of this will probably be needed soon to paint the room.  There is also some fishing gear, a lawn chair, and some boxes that need to go away.

I managed to sort through a lot of junk this month.  I relocated some of the things in the room, including a container full of my husband’s clothes, a box of Christmas ornaments, and the carpet cleaner.  I have gone through all of the remaining boxes in the room and now know what is in each of them.  All the ones currently stacked in the corner are full of pictures, books, knick-knacks, etc. that will most likely be unpacked into the room once finished.  On the office side of the room, I only made progress on the piles of paper next to the desk.  A lot of this was old schoolwork which was trashed.  A portion of it went upstairs to be read more carefully since some of it might be useful in the future.  I am getting close to being done with the initial cleaning that needs to be completed before the redesign work can begin.  A lot of what is left in the room just needs to be packed up for temporary storage while we paint, because ultimately most of what is left will remain in the room when completed.

I also made some progress on the design portion of the project.  I realized that I was probably not going to make it back out to Tyson’s Corner any time soon to visit Crate & Barrel or revisit West Elm and ZGallery.  Instead I decided my best move was to look at the websites.  I found two lines of furniture at West Elm that I think are going to be the basis of my room.  The first is the Bliss Collection which consists of sofas and chairs.  I ordered some swatch samples from which I picked the Microfiber in Mink as my likely candidate.  The other is the Industrial Modular Collection which consists of desks, shelves, and stands.  I also have a couple ideas in mind for an office chair and end tables from the West Elm website, but I may look at the other places again to see if anything would mix well.  I want a glass display case to organize my pretty things, which I will probably order from Ikea.  I am also interested in adding some adult bean bags from www.lovesac.com.  In addition to furniture shopping, I went paint shopping.  I picked up a bunch of blue paint samples from Home Depot, narrowed them down to three, and painted swatches on the wall (you can almost see one on the left in the living room shot).  I think I have already eliminated one of these colors, so I just need to figure out whether I like Behr’s Blue Bird Day or Behr’s Spacious Skies better.

In June, my main goals are to paint the room and to start making some purchasing decisions on furniture.  I am reliant on my husband to do the painting because I will need help moving the desk and painting the ceiling of the room.  Plus, he has mentioned wanting to switch out light fixtures and wall plates at the same time.  Aside from painting, I need to measure the room and put together a tentative furniture plan.  I probably will not order everything all at once though.  I think I want to start on the office side with a desk, some shelving, and file cabinets.  I need to do some browsing for rugs and curtains.  I am unsure of a rug on the office side, but I definitely want something on the living room side to help delineate the space.  I want to get rid of those heavy curtains and replace them with something light and airy.  I also need to start thinking about lighting options because that room is always a bit dark and I want it to be bright.

There you have it, another monthly update completed.  I think I made decent progress in May.  I hope June will prove to be just as good.  I feel really motivated and optimistic about getting this project completed now.  I am excited to have my front room ready for use.


See you next week!

  

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment